Founded in 1904, The Flower and Fruit Mission is a not-for-profit organization with 35 active members and dozens of associate members that supports Women's Health Services at Saratoga Hospital.
Through the decades, Mission members sewed thousands of blankets, caps, and clothing items for the infants born at Saratoga Hospital, provided flowers and fruit for new mothers, and made countless jars of homemade jam for hospital meals and fundraisers. In recent years, the Mission's focus has turned to the provision of funds to enhance the facilities and services in the hospital's Labor & Delivery Unit.
The Flower and Fruit Mission holds two annual fundraisers:
The Spring Luncheon in May and the Snow Ball in December.
- The Spring Luncheon
- Each May, our classic ladies luncheon kicks off the Saratoga summer season, bringing together hundreds of women in our community to raise money for Women's Health Services at Saratoga Hospital.
- Thank you to the 2021 Presenting Sponsor of our Spring Luncheon, Julie & Co. Realty.
- The 2021 Luncheon will take on a new look as a Picnic in the Park.
- The Snow Ball
- The Snow Ball, held on the first Saturday in December, is our largest fundraiser and kicks off the holiday season with festive décor, cocktails, dinner, and dancing.
- Since 2018, Adirondack Trust Company has been the presenting sponsor of this festive event.
Some recent contributions from The Flower and Fruit Mission include:
- Masks, meals, and other timely support to maternity staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Support for comprehensive, up-to-date educational resources for families and newborn sleep sacks – both in the hospital and to take home – to promote safe sleep practices.
- A donation of $30,000 to the Community Health Center to support women's health for the uninsured and under-insured mothers in our community.
- A donation of $50,000 for the purchase of Noelle, a simulation program used to train doctors and nurses in crisis care for mothers and newborns.
- A donation of $17,000 for the purchase of new Bilibeds, which allow treatment of jaundice right in the bassinet, so that mothers and their babies can stay close during treatment.
- $250,000 for renovations and upgrades to the Labor & Delivery Unit, including new hearing screening machine, companion chairs, labor and delivery carts, and comprehensive patient discharge education.
The Flower and Fruit Mission also offers two scholarships each year.
- The Philly Dake Memorial Award
- This annual award is given in loving memory of longtime Flower and Fruit Mission member Philly Dake, whose dedication to improving local medical care was exemplary. In her honor, a scholarship is awarded to a Saratoga Springs High School graduating senior who has an expressed documented interest in pursuing a career in healthcare.
- The Mildred Rockwell Fund
- Given in memory of a long-standing and much loved member, this $10,000 annual scholarship fund pays for advanced educational opportunities for labor and delivery nurses at Saratoga Hospital. Nurses may apply to attend medical conferences or certification programs on topics such as lactation and advanced obstetrical skills, helping to heighten the quality of care for mothers and newborns at Saratoga Hospital.